BFSAI Queens Harbour Master
Ministry of Defence
Queens Harbour Master
This is a high profile, challenging and rewarding job at the heart of BFSAI in the Falkland Islands.
The role provides the job holder with excellent career development opportunities through working in a key operational environment as well as exposure to local political matters with both UK Central Government Departments and the Falkland Islands Government.
A Queen’s Harbour Master (QHM) is required to run the busy and operationally critical East Cove Port, the primary maritime logistics node for British Forces in the South Atlantic. The harbour is the operational base port for the Falkland Islands Patrol Vessel (FIPV), as well as a frigate/destroyer (FF/DD), the Ice Patrol Ship and Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) when deployed to the South Atlantic, and also supports British Antarctic Survey vessels. The port hosts a Single Point Mooring (SPM) for the discharge of fuels to a Petroleum Storage Depot (PSD) and has a RoRo berth for the handling of bulk cargo.
The QHM will be expected to hold an STCW II/2 Certificate and be an accredited UKHMA member with a detailed understanding of the maritime environment and understanding of ship command; previous port management experience would be highly desirable. It is intended that this post will be part of the growing Marine Services Officer (MSO) specialization within the Civil Service.
Specifically the post holder will be responsible for the following:
- The monitoring, regulation and enforcement of all matters relating to the safety of navigation within the port areas;
- The protection of the Mare Harbour Naval Port in accordance with FI Naval Port Ordinance 1987;
- To continually develop the Port to ensure it operates in an safe, efficient and effective manner;
- Ensure the Dockyard Port attains and maintains the directed level of compliance under the Port Marine Safety Code (PMSC) and Dockyard Port Marine Safety Policy;
- Maintain a comprehensive safety and environmental management system (SEMS), including a full navigational risk assessment for the port and single point mooring.
- To direct the operations of the Port’s Pilotage service and maintain and direct an appropriate traffic advisory service and ensure the quality of service remains within appropriate IALA/MCA standards;
- Manage and maintain the conservancy of the Port;
- Monitor environmental issues within the Port and ensure environmental issues are de-conflicted with MOD interests;
- To oversee local management of the Marine Services Contracts and deliver supervision of ‘affected service’ activity as agreed with DMS;
- Act as Silver / Bronze commander to co-ordinate and control all salvage and marine incidents within the Port liaising as required;
- Liaise with appropriate MOD and civilian authorities to promote the safe operation of marine matters in the Port and neighbouring CHAs;
- Liaise with appropriate MOD and civilian authorities to ensure that all navigational incidents and accidents are properly investigated;
- Provide SME advice to the Dockyard Port Advisory Board, and where necessary, the Dockyard Port Board;
- To be CBFSAIs representative on appropriate local marine forums;
- Provide effective training and development for all staff under their line authority;
- Sponsor such local documentation as necessary to maintain a safe and effective Port.
From the Maritime Specialist Skills Framework the following will be assessed to Expert level:
- QHM 1 – Port Marine Safety;
- QHM 6 – Pilotage;
- QHM 8 – Conservancy;
- QHM 10 – Emergencies;
However, in order to carry out the full functions of this role there will be a requirement for candidates to articulate the full range of competencies against the MSS framework. The remaining QHM 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12 should be to Practitioner level.
The successful candidate is required to have a Full Driving Licence.
Additionally, the candidate is required to undertake and complete GS MOD 1 (off-road advanced driving) course and the defence media course prior to taking up the post.Qualifications
STCW 95 II/2 Certificate of Competency MCA Level 4 Oil Spill Response Management
IDG Harbour Masters CPD, Lloyds Maritime HM Diploma, or equivalent UK Harbour Master Association accredited course.
A really exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of the leading Marine and Environmental compani... Read more
A rare opportunity has arisen to join us as Harbour Master for the busy and thriving Harbour at Ilfr... Read more
This is a high profile, challenging and rewarding job at the heart of BFSAI in the Falkland Islands. Read more
A successful marine consultancy is currently looking for enthusiastic and experienced people to join... Read more
We are looking for an experienced Multimedia Designer to join a busy Marketing Department based in F... Read more