ABP is the UK’s leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK’s busiest port and Southampton, the UK’s leading export port and number one for cars and cruise.
The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
In 2015 ABP and its customers handled 92 million tonnes of cargo. Together with our customers, we support 84,000 jobs and contribute £5.6 billion to the UK economy every year.
ABP’s presence in South Wales consists of five ports, covering an area of 3,800 acres and contributes £1.4 billion to the UK economy. Heavy industry has a major influence on the cargoes handled at the South Wales Ports, but there is also an increasing range of other cargoes, including forest products, recyclables, agribulk products and bulk liquids.
The South Wales Ports are also involved in a significant number of renewable energy schemes and is now home to over 10MW of renewable energy projects.
Reporting to the Head of Commercial for South Wales, the Commercial Manager will be responsible for the growth and development of ABP’s revenue and EBITDA as well as the delivery of new regional revenue opportunities which will achieve profitable growth.
The role involves actively developing the business and managing commercial projects as well as interacting and engaging with Group Commercial and other regional commercial teams to share knowledge and best practice.
* Actively Manage Customer Accounts and the participation in Key Account Management, seeking to maximise commercial opportunities for revenue and volume growth.
* Management of Commercial projects to develop business
* Collaborate with the Head of Commercial for South Wales in preparing bespoke quotations, new business proposals and value propositions for customers.
* Create effective win plans in conjunction with Head of Commercial South Wales that enable winning bids and the profitable delivery of successful projects and services to meet customer needs.
* Generate profitable business which directly impacts positive EBITDA development.
* Manage commercial projects effectively to deliver on time and on budget
* Ensure maximum exposure of the regions products, services and port infrastructure that maintain and grow a new business pipeline in conjunction with other commercial and communication team members.
* Measure business performance against specific commercial targets, including progress against customer plans and ROI measurement.
* Actively engage with customer and operational projects designed to improve efficiency and/or deliver operational revenue.
* Track competitor offerings, identify gaps and communicate findings to the wider business in order to Improve the SSP South Wales offering.
* Act as a Champion for ABP, clearly demonstrating the companies values and vision.
* Utilise CRM system to manage leads, opportunities, contacts and customer account information.
Skills and Experience
It is essential that you have proven experience or working within a ‘Business to Business’ environment with excellent time management and organisational skills, with the ability to multi-task and prioritise work. You must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
As well as your relevant core skills, you will bring:
* Customer focused. Able to interpret and deliver to customer expectations.
* Proven experience of building and maintaining excellent and effective relationships with customers and key stakeholders.
* Results orientated with good project management and execution skills.
* Positive attitude and willingness to learn/develop new skills.
* Experience of working independently but also part of a team.
* Computer literate, good working knowledge of the full Microsoft Suite.
* Willingness to travel to other ABP port locations and business travel
* Full UK driving licence.
* Strong understanding of local market and customer requirements and local competitor positions to drive commercial proposals
* Educated to degree level or alternative equivalent
* Sound experience in an operational/commercial management role within supply chain /logistics sector.
* Knowledge and experience of SAP
* Project Management Experience.
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.
For more information and to apply please follow:
- Date Posted:
- Job Title:
- Commercial Manager
- Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Port Talbot or Barry
- Permanent contract
- Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits