Senior Naval Architect
Senior Naval Architect
Carnival Corporation & plc is the world's biggest cruise ship company with more than 100 ships sailing under 9 brands and an extensive order book for new ships. With over 150 people working across our locations in Southampton, Italy, Finland and Germany, you will join a passionate team who are responsible for designing and overseeing the build and delivery of world class cruise ships for all the Brands owned by Carnival Corporation.
Our remit is expanding, as well as the locations we build ships in, but at the centre of it all are our people. An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Naval Architect to join our team, specialising in ship structures.
Carnival Corporation & plc is the world's biggest cruise ship company with more than 100 ships sailing under 9 brands: P&O Cruises, Cunard, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Seabourn, AIDA, Costa, Carnival Cruise Lines and P&O Australia.
Carnival has an extensive order book for new ships and its Corporate Shipbuilding department is responsible for the procurement, design, construction and delivery of them, as well as providing technical expert support to the existing fleet.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Naval Architect specialising in ship structures within the Corporate Shipbuilding Department at Carnival UK's Head office in Southampton.
Working within a team of Naval Architects and alongside engineers from other disciplines, this is a dynamic and challenging role, with many different projects underway at a number of yards simultaneously. Our vision is to be a centre of excellence in cruise ship design; delivering the safest, most cost effective and efficient ships to the Corporation.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in working in a shipping and shipbuilding environment, with specific detailed knowledge of ship structures, experience of ship construction and extensive experience in structural plan approval. It is preferable that at least some of this experience is with passenger ships or similar ship types.
It is essential that you have a good degree in Naval Architecture or Ship Science. Ideally you will have Chartered Engineer status.
The overall purpose of the role is:
- To provide specialist technical expertise in naval architecture and structures to the design and construction of cruise ships and in support of the existing fleet
- The focus is in ship structural design, analysis and plan approval
- To be the recognised expert and point of contact for specific areas of Naval Architecture
- To support and assist the Naval Architecture team in other areas including stability, hydrodynamics noise/ vibration and technical outfitting
Some of the key responsibilities the successful candidate will have are:
- Reviewing and approving specifications, drawings, calculation/ analysis reports and other technical submissions in accordance with the department's procedures
- Participating in the design development of ship designs and technical specifications
- Ensuring that all statutory and Company safety and operational standards and requirements are observed throughout.
- Liaising with Carnival Group operating companies
- Providing support to CCS ship yard site teams in matters of structural design and construction, addressing issues that arise during ship production
- Representing the department at meetings and visits, including as the lead person
- Managing the team of CCS staff at inclining tests/ sea trials for Naval Architecture aspects
- Maintaining awareness of current and changing naval architectural matters both within and outside the Carnival Group
- Receiving and acting on feedback on the performance of vessels in service.
- Providing support in Naval Architecture and ship structures to Carnival Group operating companies and other Corporate departments
- Managing day to day workload with limited management input
- Mentoring and assisting in the development of less experienced staff
- Leading by example by taking care of the health and safety of yourself and others.
Technical Skills knowledge and experience:
- Substantial post graduate experience in the shipping and shipbuilding industry, ideally including experience in the cruise industry
- Thorogh and detailed knowledge of ship structures, structural arrangements and design, FEM analysis, Classification rules and plan approval
- Specific knowledge and experience of structures of passenger or similar ship types
- Knowledge and experience of other areas of Naval Architecture
- Knowledge and experience of ship painting and coatings would be beneficial, but not essential
- Knowledge of ship technical outfitting including glass engineering would be beneficial, but not essential
- Demonstrable experience of holding accountability in Naval Architecture
- Experience of independently negotiating with external parties, including ship builders, suppliers and Classification Societies
Essential general skills:
- Ability to assimilate, critically examine and analyse technical information, making informed judgements and recommendations
- Ability to write cogent and precise technical reports and letters with little management input
- Willingness to work and communicate with senior managers across the organisation
- Possess a holistic, project based approach to work
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to use initiative and work unsupervised
- Ability to influence others, particularly in technical discussions
- Good negotiation skills
- Assertive, self confident approach to work
Any knowledge you may have of European languages would also be beneficial.
The role will be based in Southampton, but with frequent overseas travel.
One of the core organisational values where we work is that we are 'better together' and that's why we're working hard to build a flexible and inclusive culture; where difference is respected and valued and where our people can be themselves. Inclusivity is at the heart of our everything we do so we welcome applications from everyone. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage & civil partnership and pregnancy & maternity.
Carnival Corporation & PLC is a global cruise company and one of the largest holiday companies in the world. Our portfolio of leading cruise brands includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn in North America; P&O Cruises and Cunard Line in the United Kingdom; AIDA Cruises in Germany; Costa Cruises in Southern Europe; and P&O Cruises in Australia. In Corporate Shipbuilding, we are passionate about building world class vessels for all of these brands. Our award winning prestigious brands employ engaged and passionate people to deliver the highest customer service standards to our loyal customers. With full support to enable you to realise your full potential we ensure your career with us is a successful and enjoyable one.
It takes great passion and real commitment to maintain our position in the cruise market. That's why we look for people who share our obsession and drive to provide the most memorable experiences imaginable. This is your chance to join us on our journey.
For further information please see attached job description and person specifications. Apply today.
The role will lead on the development and delivery of Paramarine training to both the MoD and wider ... Read more
We are looking for a forward thinking individual to join our small team of Duty Harbour Masters. As ... Read more
Our Client, a leading independent producer of superior Scottish salmon, has a number of excellent op... Read more
EM&I is a leading global asset integrity maintenance and repair service provider to the oil, gas and... Read more