£8,000 a year
Stream Marine Training are excited to be offering Deck Officer Cadetships in the Merchant Navy, starting in August / September 2019. Always fancied travelling the world? Wanted to work at Sea? Then this is the perfect opportunity for you.
As a Deck Officer, you would be a vital member of the navigation team on board. While on duty at sea, it will be down to you to make decisions on steering and maneuvering the ship, controlling navigation and communications. In port, you’ll be responsible for cargo handling and ship stability.
You will also be heavily involved in the day to day safety of the vessel.
This is a diverse role and every day is different, with the pathway to continue to Captain of your own vessel.
You’ll be ranked according to your experience and qualifications and with each grade comes more responsibilities. As an Officer Cadet you will start at the bottom and work your way up:
- Captain – overall charge of the vessel and safety of crew, passengers and cargo. Responsible for legal and commercial matters
- Chief Officer – day to day management of all deck crew. Overseeing deck operations and maintenance, cargo handling and storage and watch keeping duties
- Second Officer – responsible for voyage planning and carrying out watch keeping duties
- Junior/Third Officer – responsible for maintenance of life saving equipment and firefighting appliances. Assisting senior officers in day to day operations and carrying out watch keeping duties
This cadetship allows you fully paid study towards your first Certificate of Competency, that will allow you to work as an Deck Officer on a variety of vessels from cruise ships, tankers, passenger ferries and offshore vessels.
You will studying at the state of the art City of Glasgow College, which provides an excellent standard of officer training at HNC level, utilising state of the art simulation equipment and engineering workshops to ensure that courses are delivered to a high standard.
To allow entry onto the course, you will be required to hold the following qualifications:
- A minimum of four GCSEs / Standard Grades / National 5s
- These must include Maths / English AND at least one science based subject
When applying please state your qualifications and subjects.
The course is a sandwich course and you will spend two phases at sea on your company's vessels to allow you to have hands on practical experience.
All tuition fees are paid by your sponsoring company and you will also receive a training allowance both at sea and when at college. The training allowance is £175 per week at college and £120 per week when at sea.
Interested? Then please apply.
The Port of London Authority (PLA) is the statutory harbour authority for the tidal Thames and we ar... Read more
SVITZER is the largest global company within towage and related services. We employ over 4000 employ... Read more
A&P Group are a diverse marine and engineering company with clients worldwide. Our business is situ... Read more
We are looking for a talented, experienced sales person to join our award winning B2B media company.... Read more
Stream Marine Training are excited to be offering Deck Officer Cadetships in the Merchant Navy, star... Read more