Prop repair boosts tug’s pushing power
Vibration has ceased and performance has been improved by Fenlander’s recent propeller repair.
Clements Marine recently repaired a propeller for the Damen built tug Fenlander, which is operated by Wisbech Harbour Authority in the UK.
Fenlander is a 14.05m LOA Stan 1405 class tug that is used for various duties in the busy East Coast harbour. Having previously worked with the Wisbech team for some of their other pilot boats and work vessels, Clements was approached to help with the Fenlander, which had been encountering vibration problems.
Downtime can be a costly affair for a busy harbour workboat, not only in monetary terms. Clements Marine worked with the Harbour Authority’s engineering team to solve the problem in the most efficient way. Having initially considered that a major amount of work was needed, a simple repair bringing the five bladed propellers back up to class has saved both time and costs.
James Hodge, engineer for the Wisbech Harbour Authority said, “We've had the repaired propeller on for just over a week now and she feels like a new boat. I'm not getting any vibration at all. We have also noticed an improvement in pushing power. As yet we have not done any significant towing, but I'm sure if we did we would notice the difference.”
Clements Marine has all their repair and manufacturing facilities in-house at their Bedfordshire UK plant, which means that repairs such as those for Wisbech Harbour Authority can be achieved quickly. Bringing the propellers back to class makes it easier for the vessels to attain the correct RPM and therefore deliver better economy. Clements Marine works with many different Harbour Authorities and organisations, providing new propellers and stern gear as well as repairs and service work.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Stern gear provision moves forward at Seawork
- Careful consideration for hand crafted props
- Optimised propulsion for Seawork exhibition boat
- Rapid repairs keep workboat fleet mobile
- New propeller deal for RNLI Trent Class
- Propulsion performance provided at Seawork
- Stern gear package for wind farm boat
- Prop repair boosts tug’s pushing power
- Popular stern gear on show at Seawork
- Stern gear gives economy to windfarm Workcat
- Bespoke propeller helps barge transit the Wye
- New propellers for Wisbech tug
- Clements Engineering invests
- Stern gear package for Dunkirk hero
- Gearing up for Seawork