Rapid repairs keep workboat fleet mobile
Minimal down time is critical for SB Observer and other vessels in the Safety Boat Services fleet.
UK propulsion specialists Clements Marine has provided fast turn around repairs and maintenance on propellers and stern gear for Safety Boat Services.
Norfolk based Safety Boat Services work supplies safety boats and work boats for a variety of marine applications, including marine construction projects, nearshore and offshore surveys, crew transfer, salvage, towing, commercial diving, safety support for sporting events and even film work. The company has a large fleet of modern fast vessels, for which Clements Marine provides a repair and maintenance service.
One of the vessels that recently had to undergo urgent work was an 11m Marine Mammal Observation (MMO) Vessel, the SB Observer, which is based out of Wells on the north Norfolk coast.
SB Observer carries out MMO and Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAMS) work and has also been performing crew transfer duties for Scira Offshore Energy at the Sheringham Shoal wind farm. The vessel is a GRP built Blyth WorkCat which maintains a very busy schedule.
Keeping SB Observer’s time out of service to a minimum is critical. Clements Marine must conduct repair work for this vessel and sister ships in the SBS fleet efficiently and quickly. The vessel was already known to Clements Marine, which had supplied the original propellers several years previously. The work involved replacement of the 23” 4 bladed propellers, which were cast in the Clements Marine foundry in Bedfordshire. Work was also carried out to the 1¾” shafts, rudders and bearings. All work was turned round in a single day.
Repair and maintenance now accounts for approximately 20% of Clements Marine business and recent repairs have been received from as far afield as Norway, Hong Kong and Germany.
Clements Marine holds substantial stock and is also often able to supply new propellers from castings. All repairs are attended to by a dedicated expert team in a timely manner.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Stern gear provision moves forward at Seawork
- Careful consideration for hand crafted props
- Optimised propulsion for Seawork exhibition boat
- Rapid repairs keep workboat fleet mobile
- New propeller deal for RNLI Trent Class
- Propulsion performance provided at Seawork
- Stern gear package for wind farm boat
- Prop repair boosts tug’s pushing power
- Popular stern gear on show at Seawork
- Stern gear gives economy to windfarm Workcat
- Bespoke propeller helps barge transit the Wye
- New propellers for Wisbech tug
- Clements Engineering invests
- Stern gear package for Dunkirk hero
- Gearing up for Seawork