Europa Point re-engineered
UK General Lighthouse Authority Trinity House has completed the re-engineering of Europa Point Lighthouse in Gibraltar, its most southerly lighthouse.
The extensive re-engineering project has seen a number of improvements which assure a more effective service to the mariner, perhaps most notably the installation of two all-round white LED lanterns positioned one above the other to provide a main light and a standby light. This arrangement satisfies the station’s updated navigational requirements.
As well as a new state-of-the-art light source, supplied by Vega, other improvements to the station include the installation of lightning protection, increased battery capacity to maintain the station’s aids to navigation in the event of a power failure and also the renewal of all electrical systems. The improvements mean that the lighthouse’s aids to navigation and other systems can now be monitored and controlled from Trinity House’s Planning Centre in Harwich, Essex.
Europa Point Lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1841 at the southernmost point of Gibraltar, the gateway between the Atlantic and the Mediterranean. Responsibility for the lighthouse—a landfall and waypoint for vessels passing through the Strait—was vested in Trinity House by an Act of Parliament of 1838 and under the Merchant Shipping Act 1894 the Corporation became the General Lighthouse Authority for Gibraltar.
Trinity House presented the historical Second Order optic to the newly-opened University of Gibraltar, thereby preserving it and making it accessible for future generations of the Gibraltarian community.
Trinity House personnel joined staff at the University to unveil the optic in its new home on 15 March following group tours of the lighthouse; the optic was unveiled by Trinity House’s Director of Operations Commodore Rob Dorey and Professor Daniella Tilbury, Vice Chancellor at the University of Gibraltar.
Trinity House’s Director of Operations Commodore Rob Dorey said: "We are very happy that we could cap our successful re-engineering project with the presentation of this handsome lighthouse optic to the University of Gibraltar after almost 60 years of service to the mariner. We hope that both students and staff of the university will enjoy having this beacon on their campus for many years to come.”
By Jake Frith
Latest Press Releases
The Saipem 7000, one of the largest semi-submersible crane and pipelaying vessels in the world, has ... Read more
Damen Shipyards Group celebrates Multraship Carrousel RAVE Tug winning the Maritime KVNR Shipping Award
Damen Shipyards Group is celebrating the success of Multraship and its innovation arm Novatug in win... Read more
Damen Shipyards Group has handed over four new Fast Crew Suppliers (FCS) 2610 to Allianz Middle East... Read more
Damen Shiprepair Curaçao (DSCu), has on 2 November commissioned its large floating C dock. After the... Read more
Fifth Damen hopper dredger joins the ROSMORPORT fleet Read more
Located in the Netherlands, Intertech B.V. is now Datum Electronics’ representative for torque senso... Read more