Young CEDA Chair, Arjan de Heer, has reported on the most recent meeting of the Young CEDA Commission.
Young CEDA Commission’s first meeting in the year was hosted by CEDA Corporate Member DHI in Copenhagen. Members of the Commission were welcomed by CEDA Board member Ida Broker, Klavs Bundgaard of the CEDA Environment Commission and former CEDA President Anders Jensen.
With four new people present, one from France and three from Denmark, it was a productive meeting which resulted in a full plan of events for the year, in keeping with Young CEDA’s mission, which is to provide a network for students and young professionals, keep them informed about working in the dredging and marine construction industry, and to have fun.
The events planned for 2016 include:
- Belgium: Combined lecture and site visit to offshore wind projects in October
- Germany: Site visit to the Port of Hamburg and dredging related activities, also planned for October
- Denmark: Presentation during course lectures at DTU and DHI
- The UK: Seminar with the subject ‘The Thames as a highway for river traffic’ in London in September
- The Netherlands: Two evening seminars at the end of May/early June at the Universities of Delft and Twente to inform students about working in the dredging and marine construction industry
- There is also an excursion planned for the autumn to Royal IHC where a new jumbo cutter suction dredger and a dual fuel engine trailing suction hopper dredger are under construction.
The day was ended with a tour around the DHI complex.
By Larz Bourne